View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #171
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Ok all kidding aside, that is an awesome explanation and just made me consider the overall design of the truck all over again. Are you going with the 250ci over the 292ci due to availability of parts or is there another reason? I ask because the 292 should give you a higher base line HP platform to start from, and is still an IL6 and bolts up to everything without adding too much additional weight.
I was able to find a 250 that's only 92 engines apart from the original engine, and the shorter stroke will rev better. The crank and rods are also lighter weight so they won't be as stressed at higher RPM's compared to a 292. The deck height is about 2" shorter so the block itself will weigh less, and the less weight on the nose of the truck the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
With double or triple carbs, you are still going to go with a 6 to1 exhaust manifold instead of a dual exhaust? I see you are planning on 3" pipe but still.... on the other hand it would help keep the weight down I suppose.
With the dual exhaust there is still the option of installing electric exhaust dumps at an H or X crossover.
No doubt you are planning on a hotter ignition system, if not full electonic?
What are your plans for air flow? Cold air induction, or some form of forced air like a blower or ram air?
And I am guessing you are going to go with the smaller high torque starter as well, or will your flywheel shaving not make that a good idea? I guess the last thing you want to do is disintegrate your flywheel....

I hope to keep up with your engine build a lot easier than I can with the re-engineering of your frame!!

This is going to be a great build...glad I got into it on the first posting !!
Rock on man !!
I don't like the exhaust sound of split headers, and a 6-1 header should make better power if the tubes are arranged in the right pattern in the collector. As far as ignition, I haven't looked into what is available yet but probably MSD or Mallory or similar if I use carbs. If I go efi I'll use a crank trigger and Ford EDIS with individual coil packs. Induction will be N/A but I'm considering using the two openings in the hood to make a cold air box that will seal down on the carbs. The front edge of the hood has some rust in it so I'm not completely against modifying the inner brace for air ducts since I'll be cutting and welding on the hood anyways. I'm not quite sure what to do about the flywheel yet since I don't know if the stock one will withstand 7000+ rpm. If not I'll have to buy an aftermarket flywheel. A high torque starter would be less weight but I want the engine to be detailed like GM would have built it, so I'll have to try to disguise it if I use one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by theastronaut; 01-07-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Spelling, again.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote