View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
LEEVON

Re: 07 GMC Sierra Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
^^^^^^^
thats funny stuff

your the guy that said he just needs a gear change & tune but never mentioned NOTHING about weight distributing setup or trailer brakes witch is needed when towing 5000+ lb.

I do A LOT of towing and have been for the last 25 years! I've pulled up to 11,300lbs with my 1/2 ton suburban yeah not recommended but was done just because you have not don't mean it cant be done and my setup was only rated for 10k as long as you use COMMON SENSE have the proper setup it can be done safely within reason

my suburban has rear coil springs witch every one knows its not the best for towing but its rated by GM for 10k with a weight distributing setup keep in mind its a suv "SPORT UTILITY VEHICLE" not a TRUCK so if mine is rated for 10k why cant a truck with leaf springs pull it with a weight distributing do it to?

COMMON SENSE and skill gos along way! i've seen guys by 1 tons dually diesel's that could not pull 7k with out swaying all over the place
Wrong...I DID mention trailer brakes and no I didn't mention load distributing hitch (although "etc." could encompass any number of ideas including your suggestion). The load hitch is a great way to increase your towing capacity but not the ONLY way...add it to the list. The OP asked if there was anything he could do "short of getting a new truck".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
You're right Vin, don't want to give him misleading information I agree with all of your points. I just wanted to state the simplest way to increase his towing capacity is gearing. A 1/2 ton truck will always be a 1/2 ton truck. If you put two side-by-side one with 3.42 and one with 4.10 given all the other parameters are the same the towing capacity is higher, and easy to figure by looking in the Owner's manual. He may be able to increase to 6500+ lbs capacity in gears alone. Of course some power upgrades, helper bags, trailer brake, etc..would also help. And a transmission cooler is a MUST for any towing.
The pic you posted has a sticker with the "hitch rating"...which means the HITCH is rated, not the vehicle it's on. A36 steel has a yield strength of 36,000 psi that doesn't mean if I bolt a piece on my truck I can tow more...and what about GVWR?

Friendly advice, please don't jump into threads and start calling people out who are contributing...doesn't work well around here. Telling the OP he can safely tow 10K (now 11,300) with his 1/2 ton with only a load hitch (no you didn't mention brakes either) is wreckless advice IMO and I sure hope he doesn't load up his precious family and try it!

Last edited by LEEVON; 01-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote