View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Redleg

Made an "un-popular" decision with my 307!

Yep, just like the title says, ive made what some on here will say is a retarded, pointless move.

I am keeping a 307 in my truck.

No, i am not building a big bad ass bored out 307. If i wanted that then i would go to a 350 then wouldnt I?

No i am not building a "restored" original truck......Not even close...

Ive came to the conclusion that i love peoples reactions when they hear me pull up and say man, that sounds good, whats under the hood a 350? Then when i tell them its the mostly stock 307 with the original never rebuilt bottom, the wistfull look disappears and is replaced by a half scowl and a usual, oh....thought it had more than that..........

Yes a 350 is a great motor. Yes you can do more with a 350 than any other motor. Yes i love 350s....

However, this truck is my daily driver.....This truck will NEVER be an award winning show truck and i am not looking to do burnouts at EVERY intersection. (Just every third one) The truck will do that just fine right now!

Yes this truck will change appearance, it will gain a better paint job, but its always going to be my shop truck.....

The 307 in it right now has PLENTY of power for what i use it for. Driving to work and cruising on the weekends.......

So, back to my decision. I am going to build a 307. Not buy, not get rebuilt. I am going to build my first motor, well bottom half anyway. Its going to be a stock 307 with possibly a .10 bore depending on the shape of the block i pick up. I am keeping the elderbrock manifold, 305 heads and elderbrock carb and HEI distributor... Probably will add headers and keep my 60 series flowmasters.... Depending on feedback from here and research and pricing, a small cam might be in order. I will depend a lot of feedback from you guys. Last time i was involved in an engine build was my freshman year of high school at trade school in auto class, which was well, 16 years ago...and i dropped that to take carpentry because the teacher was a burnout......

Its not going to happen overnight. Im starting from scratch. So going to pick up the tools first over the next couple of months. Hopefully by late spring i will have a block back from a machine shop ready to be built. My HOPE is to have it completed late summer to mid-fall before the cold weather sets in and i lose my everyday riding weather on the bike....

My hope is also at the same time that i pull the engine, i will pull the tranny and replace the 3 OTT with either a 5 speed floor shift or a 3 speed automatic with OD. Really really hoping on that the 5 speed floor shift (T-5). If i can ever find the right trannys........

So there it is..... a decision that people will be going, better him than me, dont know what he is thinking, and thats not i would do....but that is exactly the point.

Its what I want to do, it is my truck.....If i am happy with it....thats all that matters.

And for those who have actually read this far..... My plan one day is to have a 67-72 4x4 possibly a C20......with a......you guessed it....350....That will be the truck i make a powerhouse......Right now my concentration is building this truck. THen finding a 60-66 for the wife......priorities.........
Some trucks in the air, some layin' frame.
some are super cool, and some kinda lame.
Some kinda slow, and some really fast.
some run on 110,and some on pump gas!
Redleg is offline   Reply With Quote