View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can/Do It All" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Welcome to the forum Chris

Sounds like you have a great 4x project in the works. Being a fellow fabricator, I am anxious to see more pics. I've been wanting to build my '63 4x4 Suburban for sometime now. I'll just have to settle for my '75 Blazer instead, as it will be less work.

I like the looks of that TC e-brake setup. How/where does a guy find more details on that? Pirate?

Have you been to this forum yet http://www.offroadfabnet.com
Thanks!

On that e-brake, have you heard of a company called High Angle Driveline? They sell basically the same thing, but they use a very hard to find and fairly expensive mechanical agricultural/industrial caliper. The advantage of the setup I'm running is pads are cheap and can be purchased at any local parts house, same with the caliper itself. If you are interested, PM me and I can send you the file for the caliper bracket and show you some of my disc drawings. I am going to remake the disc for mine though, first one was a 3 layered piece, its basically drilled and vented but its not cast, the center layer just looks like some crazy saw blade and it "scoops" in the air. I figured if I ever had to depend on this as an e-brake, it would need to stay cool because of the much higher speeds a driveline brake sees vs a wheel brake. But the problem is that it'll probably warp if I use it for front digs, so I am going to make a new one as just a single layer like the one in the pics.

If you have access to a CNC plasma cutter and a lathe then making your own disc is a piece of cake, same with the bracket. If not, you can print out the drawing at 1:1 scale and just use it as a template, since its not converted to a cut path. And the caliper is an '89 Pontiac Grand Prix rear caliper, it does matter left or right because of cable routing. If its going on a passenger drop case, you need a left caliper if the cable is coming in from the drivers side, if its a drivers drop case you need a right caliper if the cable is coming in from the drivers side. Also, the bracket can only bolt on 1 way on a ford case, and I'm pretty sure you would just mirror the drawing of the caliper bracket before cutting if you were making it for a chevy case.

PM me though, I'll gladly send over the drawing for the bracket if you want it, maybe the disc too if you want to run the exact same setup (flange too).

Unfortunately there really isn't any more information on this setup other than HAD's kit and the info above. Anything on pirate about this is beating a dead horse IMO, the options for an NP205 are really only the HAD kit or custom.

EDIT: And yes I have been to OFN, I didn't find it too thrilling, seemed really dead over there? Maybe they limit what new members can see? I never bothered posting though.