View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
MrTucker

Re: Fab question about my 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It's just my well known opinion. I can't see throwing away a good original frame to replace it with a mini truck frame just because a guy thinks it' the "easy" way to go. In your case you would have to cut up what is probably a 3/4 ton frame to shorten it so it's a different deal.

There is no free lunch with the S10 swap though as guys who do it right spend a lot of hours getting everything lined up right so it looks right plus you have to deal with the wheels sitting way back in the openings and needing spacers to get them out where they look right. On of the guys on here was kind enough to share his patterns and measurements for the stands to mount the cab that make things a lot easier. Right off I don't know which build thread they are in but that will help you a lot in getting things set up right.

With scrap prices what the have been lately and the demand for S10 frames the cost of a dead or dying S10 two wheel drive truck around here has gone up to the point where it isn't a cheap thing to do anymore. What we could get for 100 bucks and drag it out of some guys yard because the engine had blown up 8 years ago is now a 600 item. I know of one chassis of undetermined wheelbase that the asking price is 400 and then you still have to rebuild the suspension.

I hear ya, it's like those guys that shave their cabs...wtf?
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote