View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
ryanmctee

Re: Building a garage - any suggestions?

Finally a thread I can give some real world advise on. I've built two garages/shops on my property (myself).

I built a 30 x 30 with 9' ceilings. Great for woodworking, but currently I have my truck in it in peices and it's way too small. Would NEVER build a garage this small again. I also built a 20 x 50 with 16' walls for my motorhome. Great for that, but not very good as a 'shop'. My neighbor has a 40 x 60 which seems like a great size. ?The rule here is build it as large as you can afford and fit on your property.

Make sure to stub in 220 power for compressors, welders, etc. Stub in a gas line, phone, computer line, everything you can think of even if you have zero plans of using any of that now. Guaranteed it will pay HUGE dividens down the road. Take it from someone who has been there before.

Consider putting flourscent lighting on the walls and ceilings. People think I'm crazy for having lights on the walls, but think about it; when your working on a fender for example and the light is shining on the top of the car, it makes alot of sense to have light coming from a wall vs. a ceiling. Last thing to consider, don't drywall. Sheet the walls with a nice plywood and paint them white, this way they reflect light, and you can nail anywhere and get holding power.

Good luck!!!