View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #32
G&R's57GMC

Re: Building a garage - any suggestions?

You never can have enough garage space ! Same goes for shop space !

My house came with a 30' x 40' garage and 2 attached carports 1 on the end and the other on the back with a drive through. It has 8' high doors and a flat ceiling at 9'.

So I added two new buildings to it. One is in line and the other is out back. I enclosed the carports giving me a 6 car main parking garage. One of the former car ports triples as parking/car wash/pass through. The other former carport serves as a 1 car garage/ storage area and indoor entrance to the shop out back.

I was limited by setback reg's so I only make the shop 24' wide. I made it 34' long to line up with the carport.

The other building is 24 x 30 and serves as a parking garage for my trailer and 3 cars and is where the air compressor is. How did I get 3 cars and a trailer in there? The trailer is only 18' and next to it is a Bend Pac 4 post lift with one truck up and a car below and my van across the front.

The shop has a 12' top plate height and a cathedral ceiling along the sidewalls it has a 24" shelf for storage and at the front a 48" deck for more storage.

Its constructed with a 24" concrete stem wall and 2" x 6" x 10' framing. The floor is 4" thick at the far end and 6" thick in the middle for the Bend Pac 2 post lift. The lift is 12' 4" tall.

The walls and ceiling are packed with insulation and the shop stays comfortable most of the year without having to use the heat or a/c. When I do heat it set at 60* and 65* cooling. (Gas & Electric)

I installed outlets at 48" high every 4' . They are on 4 breakers, I also installed a 220v outlet on its own breaker. The lift has a breaker as does the HVAC unit. The lighting is 8' florescent all around. Theres even a 52"ceiling fan. Air is plumbed in from the other garage. Cable and stereo wiring also. Phone is wireless.
Of course all the garages have vacuum ports to the central system.

Like I said, You never can have enough space ! The place is now full and I'm having a garage sale .
Attached Images

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 03-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote