View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #36
OrrieG

Re: Building a garage - any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
One more thing, Zammer mentioned a drain, "if allowed". Make sure you build to code. Some of the comments so far have code issues. For instance many cities/counties/towns/etc require fire rated finishes such as fire rated drywall (especially if the garage is attached to the house). Welding, grinding and cutting with a plasma cutter or Oxy-Acetylene are obvious fire hazards and in many locals can require special attention to codes. In many areas "pits" not not allowed. You could potentially build a fantastic garage with many code violations. If in the future your garage met with disaster such as fire, or other damage, the insurance company will do their best to get out of paying for rebuild/repair. They can used a code violation to get out of paying your claim. Check your local code requirements.
Amen, as an architect I have made a lot of money off of folks that did not want to spend a couple of hundred dollars for a quick Code consultation or contractors that "knew" the Code. If it is attached to the house you do need a fire wall and rated door between the house and garage/shop. It needs to extend from the footing thru the roof to the bottom of the deck in most jurisdictions. Ratings vary by jurisdiction, usually it is one hour assembly. In my area the Building Officials are customer friendly when it comes to residential construction and welcome consultations.

One other thing that caught my eye is that it sounds like it is going in front of your main living structure? If so check with your zoning department, many do not allow accessory structures or garages to be in front of the living area. When I built mine I needed to get a variance because my house sits so far back from the street. I was limited to not having it any farther towards the street than any existing home within two blocks of mine and had to get approval signatures of all the existing homeowners within two blocks.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote