View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #140
sdwolff98
Turning Wrenches Daily

Re: 1964 GMC 3/4 ton build :D

ok started another few projects the last few days lol. Getting the frame harness to the rear of truck in place is one will be posting up some pics of that pretty soon. Going smoothly there since I have had it up there once before. NExt two are starting my gauge cluster panel and experiment with some plumbing elbows and tubes for a cold air intake template to have a mandrell bent cold air intake runner made.

take a look and Enjoy.

DJ I used the front set of engine mount bracket holes in my frame plus the slider mounts to get everything situated nicely on the frame. I did have to trim off one of the ac mount bosses on the bottom side of the engine to clear the motor cushion was another issue I ran into as well. The wiring harness itself was a fairly simple deal to modify from a factory setup. I got the factory diagrams and went through and removed the rear o2 sensors, evap controls, ac compressor controls, battery current sensor, alternator controls and a few other things. I also removed the cooling fan controls since I am going to use a different setup there since chevy made that pretty complicated for me to make use of. I am wiring one set of wire for the fans into my air conditioning unit control panel so both come on when ac is activated. Once I had the chaff out of the harness I routed the fuel pump relay wire to a custom panel and relay set up I mounted inside the cab. Then I set up a powertrain relay for all the power wires spread throughout the harness next. Little more bulky than the htree wire most people do but I now have a fuse setup for each o2 unit, bank a and b fuel injectors etc... I also have one set of constant power wires on one fuse for the trans and ecm units.. That way if I have any blown fuses it wont be very hard to track down the problem where it may lie. Another thing I did was strip the harness back and recased it after seeing how much extra length is in the harness that I did not need after rerouting eveything a little more efficient for my setup. I ended up shortening some of the wires buy enclosing them in the casing split loom I used. I also bought an obdII connector and set up the connector with a constant hot, can hi can lo leads and two grounds will know more when the gm tech comes by to look at it and see if I made any mistakes. Also extended the ecm ground wire for the Check engine ligh so I can mount it in the dash panel you will see below. I also got rid of the powertrain control activation off the harness and plugged that setup into the coil wire in my trucks harness so it activates all the power leads in the engine harness via a relay.
Will post a bit more on this later..

Sean
Attached Images

1964 GMC I1500 2wd (my baby) 8.1 allison 6 spd conversion Aka Smurf http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=438342
2016 Ram Big Horn 4WD parts hauler
2010 Chevy HHR wife new car after the circled problem blew up!!!
1981 Ram D150 /6 auto Wife's sunday driver

Living outside Gladewater Texas now working in Longview at the hospital there

future project toys:
1966 Chevy K14 carryall aka Smurfette future project 283/auto overdrive http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551867
sdwolff98 is offline   Reply With Quote