View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #44
magicoolbus

Re: Building a garage - any suggestions?

As I read thru the posts, I might have missed this, so forgiveness in advance. With respect to lighting, don't forget, there are times when you will be working in garage with garage door up. This often blocks ceiling lighting, making portions of garage dark, especially when sun goes down. My garage door has windows in it like most, I planned a few lights to shine thru these windows when the door was up. However, wall mounted accent lights for this area would have been a great solution too.
I also designed my trusses for attic storage, i ended up with a 8 wide, 5 tall, 35 long attic accessible by a staircase. This also gave me some storage area under the staircase, i put extra fire prottection and a steel door and that's where I keep my gun safe.
Some things the city made me do: 5/8 drywall on walls that faced house for extra fire protection. Also, I was limited in roof height, it couldn't exceed the roof height of existing dwelling.
I have seen several posts that focus on ethernet, cable, etc. I did all those, but also put in audio for the stereo and also wired for a tv with all the required surround sound speaker locations. I put an 110 outlet up on wall about 7 feet up with all of the connections to speakers nearby. also beefed up the structure to ensure mounting safety for the big plasma.
I also specified 2x6 construction with fully insulated walls, attic and roof. My heating and cooling requirements are completely handled by a sanyo wall ac unit. http://us.sanyo.com/HVAC-By-System-T...ir-Conditioner
Posted via Mobile Device
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote