View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #211
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Ive been wanting a smaller diameter steering wheel since I'll have power steering but I couldn't find a 15" rim with similar grips to swap over. Do instead of swapping rims I section the original wheel from 16 3/8" down to 15". I've still got to grind the plastic back from the inner steel frame so I can weld it all together, then build up the joints with epoxy.

The original '66 deluxe wheel.

After cutting.

Marking the spokes for the cut. I've got a plan in mind that I think will make remaking the tapered end of the dimpled indention pretty simple when it's time to start epoxying and reshaping the wheel.

Spokes shortened, super glued in place temporarily for mock up purposes.

First mock up (after also shorting the two pieces of the rim). To get the hub centered, the edges of the rim and spokes on one side didn't meet up. I shortened one edge and will have to lengthen the other.

After getting everything roughly in the right position and the center hub centered in the rim, using one of the cut pieces to fill in the gap.

Roughed in and ready to start grinding back the plastic to weld the rim in place. It measures 15 inches now. I'll grind the edges back and glass bead the old paint and grime off, then use the steering shaft with a level and make sure the hub is level and centered, and 90* to the rim before welding the rim back together. I'll post pics once I get all that done.

Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote