View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #24
BlueJeep

Talking Re: My version of the s10 swap

Next up was to cover up that fresh bare metal. **Today was the first time I've sprayed non-buzz bomb finish on a vehicle.** This past December I bought a DeVilbiss Startingline 2 spray gun kit and pulled it out of the box today. As someone who'd never used a spray gun before, I can say that it worked pretty well for me. I had some friends come over and set me up by showing me how to adjust the fan and the amount of fluid that was coming out of the gun. I then proceeded to spray on a good coat of SPI epoxy primer. Started out with lots of runs, then kinda figured it out and got better from there.

Here's my Quality Control guy looking for spots that I missed:

We then followed that up with a couple coats of Eastwood Chassis Black. Semi-gloss black paint is a little hard to put over semi-gloss black epoxy primer, but I'm confident I got most of it covered.

And there we have it, a freshened-up frame for my truck. I was a little nervous about painting for the first time, but with guidance from some veterans it wasn't too bad at all. Definitely something I'll be able to repeat at home. 90% of the spraying on the frame was done by me. I was also unsure about the side-draft spray booth you see in the pictures, but my dad did not want the black overspray mixing with the black diesel smoke on the walls and ceiling of his shop... and I don't think I ended up with too much dirt in the paint. Not that it matters too much, as this truck is destined to be a driver. I dropped one of the upper control arms on the ground while the primer was fresh and dad asked if I wanted some thinner to wipe it off and start over. My reply was nope, just a rag to wipe off the dirt and spray a little more epoxy over it. No need to get too carried away!

Now the truck will rest while I get another project finished up and out of my garage, then it will be moved home and start the re-assembly process. Next up on the list are installing the 5.3 and narrowing a 9" for the rear. Should be fun!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 04-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote