View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #225
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Very cool idea. It looks good.
Thanks Alan, you're making me jealous with all the progress you're making and being that close to completion. I keep heaping more and more on the "to do" list so it's great to see other guys getting to the final build stages. Builds like yours help me push on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Pickup View Post
Nice work Spaceman, that wheel looks great. I'll have to look for that epoxy.
Thanks, it's great for fixing wheels. It can be smoothed down pretty slick if you wet the tip of your finger with thinner and work the epoxy to shape; makes for much less sanding after it dries!

Got a little more done on the wheel last night. I re-did the tip of the indentions so that the indentions would be the same length on both sides. Guess I should have checked that already. Once the epoxy finishes hardening it'll be almost ready for sanding and primer. I say almost because I had an idea that I want to incorporate into the wheel. More on that below.

I also checked the fit of the horn ring, and it looks great on the smaller wheel. I was worried that the proportions would be off, but it looks fine.

After running this by MalibuKasey (co-conspirator/Goldilocks' official project consultant) and recieving the green light of approval, I'll be adding two chrome rings to the top of the rim from a mid 60's Nova wheel. They'll be spaced one inch apart, and the rim will be painted dark fawn to match the dash color inbetween the chrome rings. The rest of the wheel will be fawn like stock. I wanted a stripe at the top of the wheel like race/drift/rally cars have as a reference, which supposedly is helpful when you're sideways. Of course, I'll need to test out that theory once she's back on the road...

I thought about adding just a dark fawn stripe, but I remembered that Impala's had chrome rings that were used to separate the two tone rim colors. Impala's had a different grip profile though, and those rings wouldn't work. MalibuKasey had a Nova wheel and confirmed that the rim profile was the same as on truck wheels, so I'll be using Nova rings to add to my wheel. This will keep with the OEM/factory styling trend, and also give nod to the suspension mods, and the type of driving I'll be doing.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote