View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #240
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Got some work done on the gauge cluster. I dug around and found a repro lens that was left over from the blue '65 build. It had some pretty rough shelf wear when I recieved it, so the company sent me another one to replace it. I spent some time buffing it out and it actually cleared up all the way- I really wasn't expecting the plastic to buff out that well. The background panel was faded so I scuffed it and resprayed it with low gloss black, and I also masked out the gauge faces and repainted the needles with a pinstriping brush. I've got a set of decals for the gauge faces ordered so the gauges will look 100% new as well. The numbers on the odometer were flaking and peeling off, but I've got two parts gauges that have better odometers in them. I should have it back together later this week when the rest of the parts come in.

I picked these bulb housings up at a swap meet, they've got a narrow spot beam pattern for long distance visibility and take H3 bulbs. I'll put 100W bulbs in them and wire them up to come on with the high beams. I should be able so see pretty good between these and H4's with 80/100W bulbs! My VW has nearly the same lighting set-up, and I can easily see 1/4 mile down the road. Still gotta find some chrome housings to put them in. The "For Rent" tag was too cheap to pass up; been thinking about running it on the front bumper.

Similar, slighly smaller lights on my VW, with only 70W bulbs in the spot housings. I had them tinted yellow at one point with electrical tape X's over them (rally/road race style) but that blocked alot of the light output, so they're back to clear now. They help out some on the bug, but it's dropped so low (3" ride height) that probably 1/3 of the light is aimed down on the road right in front of the car.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote