View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #181
SCOTI

Re: 77 Cheyenne meets Ramjet 350 by N2TRUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by x ReAcT x View Post
Thanks for the welcome, im really impressed with this forum; its probably been the best forum when it comes to truck info.

I was under the under the impression that premium fuel was required. The link below contains the exact instructions from GM. If you go to page 5, which lists the engine specifications, it states:
"Fuel: Premium unleaded - 92 (R+M/2)"

Now you have this exact engine in your truck and ive seen youve been running for quite awhile now, and to hear you say you were running regular is a huge sigh of relief because i cant afford to get 10 miles/gallon and pay for premium on my daily driver. But with the GM Instructions stating that premium is required, would the regular 87 octane gas cause problems for the engine? And if it does cause problems, would there be any other EFI engine that would be an easy swap for less than $6000.00 that should be considered?
For optimum performance, the suggested premium fuel should be used.

Most GM ECU's simply tweak the timing to adjust for fuel quality. In the 02 TransAm (LS1/6) I drove, you could run 87 w/o issue..... it just didn't have the same power it would if using 92.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote