View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Super73

Re: need help with my suspension 1970 gmc

Watching the video, it looks like something in the front suspension to me. Looks like you are hooked initially and then loose traction 2-3 feet out.

Just a few questions on the chassis,

How much upward front travel do you have before you pick the tires up? Truck looks fairly low so I would assume a good amount.

You mention moving the front shock mounting location, is this causing any binding through out the travel of the control arm? Best way to find out is rest the chassis in the air of jack stands, pull the springs and try to run the control arm / spindles through their full motion (they need to be assembled like they would be when driving).

How easy are both the lower and upper control arms to move with out the spindle attached?

Are you running a front sway bar?

What setting did you have the front shock in?

If there is any bind or lack of front suspension travel, you could hook initially but have a problem hooking 2-3 feet out. As the front rises, your truck is going to want to move out. If the front binds and or has no more travel, then you are now trying to pick up the full weight of the shocks, springs, control arms, spindles, brakes, wheels and tires. If you don't have enough hit and power to pick all that up the weight goes in the opposite direction, back down. When that happens you take weight off the rear tire and spin.

The front sway bar, if still on, will allow some travel, but it wants keep everything even between the two control arms, slows down front suspension reaction and can bind things up with the more travel you ask of it.

Do you have any kind of sway bar / antiroll bar in the back? If not, I would suggest getting one, or if it is the factory one, put a better one on it.

Truck sounds great. Listening to it though out the pass I think it could use a bigger converter, at least if you are going to keep it NA.
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote