Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #28
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: need help with my suspension 1970 gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
sounds a bit much to me
Gotta agree with that!
Spring rates are some real rocket science to me, but 1900 pound spring... 3" and ONE spring would hold up your entire truck! Again I'm no suspension expert for sure, but as i have come to understand it....

A 500"# spring will will exert 500# per inch of compression. So at 3" of compression it would hold up 1500 pounds (no geometry included there)

Your front weight of 2250 pounds is TOTAL,, so each side has to hold up 1125 pounds at ride height.

Difference between your "top of the wheel well opening" and full extended you say is 3.375" (but is that the SPRING travel or just the body??? seems REALLY short but OK) Let's say it is the spring.... 1125/3.375 = 333 pound per inch.

The more suspension travel you can get, and the LONGER the spring you can use (soft rate compressed more) will store energy to offer rise at the hit.

But the right way to do this is exactly like redsled said,, ignore my rambelings and call the guys that do this for a living. But do everything you can to give them SPRING length at ride height and at wheels up, AND if possible bottomed out. I missed that one in a set of lowering springs. Thought I had all my ducks in a row and the thing would bottom out on every little dip. There are 'progressive' springs that exerpt more pressure as they are compressed more.
see it is rocket science lol

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote