View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #96
bobs409
1969 Custom 30 wrecker

Re: 69 Custom 30 wrecker restoration

First off, a big THANK YOU to Tim (coops714x4) from this forum who donated a "flyswatter" mirror arm & bracket to the project. I've been searching for these mirrors with absolutely no leads almost since this project started! With that one arm/bracket, I'll be able to use it to make a duplicate for the other side. I don't have mirror heads but will put on a pair of painted rectangular 69 repro's. I think these originally had a mirror head design all their own but they can be changed easily later if I find the right ones. The important thing is I can do my door skins with the correct inner brackets now and not have to worry about changing anything later. (and having to repaint the doors!)

I know some of you don't like this style mirror and at first, I didn't either but it very quickly grew on me. I located some west coast style DG5 mirrors recently from a big truck and considered putting those on but to me, it's like bolting scaffolding onto your doors. LOL They are massive! And since this trucks heavy towing days are behind it, the small mirrors will do just fine. (and be original!)

Well now that this huge obstacle is out of the way, I've made quite alot of progress lately!

After a few days to revive that old cowl panel, I got it back in good shape again. Lots of metal work and 2 coats of POR-15 on the bottom side. (Pic #1) I also did the top part of the inner cowl with POR and then primed it before it fully dried. (Pic #2)

(Pic #3) shows the wetsanded dash panel getting a test fit. All was perfect so it was fully bolted and welded in. Notice the kick panels recieved a skim coat of filler to blend in the new lower patch panels.

(Pic #4) shows the completed cowl panel installed and black Eastwood seam sealer just applied. This is the BEST seam sealer I've ever used! Can't say how durable it is just yet but it applies like a dream! After using many different brands over the years, what a difference with this one.

(Pic #5) shows a new day where after getting everything sanded and cleaned, I applied a gray sealer coat inside and out.

Continued...
Attached Images

63 Impala 283/PG/3.36 (under restoration)
66 Impala 327/PG/3.36
66 Chevelle SS 409/M22/3.55
69 Chevelle 307/PG/3.08 (future restoration)
69 C10 short stepside 454/TH350/3.73
69 Custom 30 tow truck 350/4 spd/4.10 (resto done, CRUISIN TIME!)
71 Cheyenne 20 fleetside 350/4 spd/4.10
71 Chevelle 6/PG/3.08
72 Chevelle 454/M21/4.10

Last edited by bobs409; 05-18-2012 at 08:40 PM.
bobs409 is offline   Reply With Quote