View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #279
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed427 View Post
Just caught up on the progress. I'm lovin the build. Its kinda sad that the six isn't gonna work out, I love the look of those engines. Keep up the stellar work sir!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I'm still not 100% thrilled about the LSx build, just because the six woulda been so much more unique than the typical V8 build. The LS will be disguised to look old though.

Well, it's bad when you have to dig to find your own build thread! I haven't got any "real" progress done due to the change of plans with the engine situation, and getting the details of that sorted out. I've been posting on LS1tech to get an idea of what I'll need for the engine build, and it looks like it'll be limited to around 7500 rpm unless I almost double the engine budget. I've settled in on using an L33 5.3, destroked with a 4.8 crank, and opened up to LS1 size 3.90" bore. The short stroke will slow the piston speed down so stock rods with ARP bolts will be adequate, and the LS1 bore will open up more piston options while unshrouding the valves. That ends up at 312 CI, so mildly ported stock 799 head castings will flow plenty to make good power on the top end.

Other than planning the engine build, I've also decided to sell the gauge cluster (minus the air gauge). I've found a guy that can build a stock looking 10k rpm tach that'll work with an LS engine, and also print a 140 mph speedo overlay for the gauge lens. I'll wetsand and buff off the stock 100 mph printing and use his reverse printed 140 mph decal on the inside of the lens. I should be able to sell the gauge cluster to cover the cost of the tach and speedo graphics. I've already got a gauge cluster I can restore and add the tach and air gauge to.

I've got about 3-4k worth of parts that I need to sell so I should soon have alot more cash free to dump on the truck and get the progress rolling along better. I've got my eye on a No Limit rack and pinion kit, and it'll need to go in before the engine so that will probably be one of the next big purchases.
Posted via Mobile Device
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote