View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Firebirdjones

Re: Got a 6.2 diseasal... should I put a 700r4 or a Turbo400 behind it?

When you say 6.2 diesel I assume you aren't talking about a turbo diesel? In which case I wouldn't worry about the 700 behind it. Build it right and it will last you many miles. A turbo diesel however I'd probably look at other options. I don't feel using overdrive while towing is an option with the 700 so if that's what you are looking for Firehound you may want to rethink. I'd personally recommend what I'm going to do (mentioned in post below) and that's take my tow rig, keep the 400, and put a gear vendor unit behind it. Then you can use the overdrive while towing anything you wish to hook behind it.

Although I wouldn't (and don't) use the overdrive while towing with my other overdrive vehicle, I built my 4L60E (electronic version of same thing) with billet parts, 5 pinion planet, beast shell, alto clutches with coleen steels etc....that is rated to hold over 600 hp. The same can be done with any 700R4. If built in this manor and it still breaks, then it's probably time to step up to a 4L80E.

I shoved mine behind a stout 6.0 LS (which GM never did) with plans to throw a maggie on top. I'm not really worried about it.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-10-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote