View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
slimbailess

Re: my long term project

update!! I am really bad about taking progress pics but have a few...let me start with the problems I've had with this build...back then, GMC did their own thing, their own motors and own wheel patterns(sometimes).This one ton 46 GMC had dual wheels with a 6 on 7 1/2 bolt pattern, and they were the suicide split rims, with an oval locking ring....Stockton Wheel had some replacements but they were around 200 a wheel for a plain steel wheel, plus I would have to buy 6 new tires..so I decided to change to 8 on 6 1/2 later GM....tried to find a Frito-Lay truck for a disc brake axle, no luck...tried to find a motor home with front disc...no luck...found a dodge motor home with dual wheels, bought the axle but it was too wide and the steering was different...long story short, I decided to find a 50's 8 lug axle...found one out of a 53? thought it would bolt in...springs were different widths, so I combined it with the original 46 axle, and now its back under the truck, with bendix brakes...was able to find a 14 bolt dually axle with 4 wheels and decent tires for a good price, and a friend loaned me two 8 lug rollers for the front..it's rolling again!!! the original gas tank was full of dirt and rusted through, and replacements were a couple hundred...found a side mount tank on a frame in the wrecking yard and now its on the frame...the brakes, I got a dual res master cylinder from a 60's gm truck and built a bracket to make the original pedal work and ran new brake lines...I think it will be running for the July 4th parade!!! oh and I found a chevy hood at a wrecking yard for $50, since the original one was pancaked...the paint(thats left) even matches!!
Attached Images

slimbailess is offline   Reply With Quote