View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #40
x ReAcT x

Knuckle and Ball Joint Removal / How to remove Knuckle

We are finally getting somewhere. Now its time to remove the knuckles and ball joints. Push your knuckle as far to one side as you can to expose the ball joint nuts. The upper ball joint is seated with a castle nut and cotter pin. First remove cotter pin (page 1 for more detail on removing pins) and then remove castle nut. Make sure to spray the castle nut with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a minute or too before continuing. The castle nut is 5/16" wide, and happens to be the only socket i have missing. So i used a wrench and just gave it a couple taps with the mallet. Nut unscrewed right off. Now for the bottom ball joint nut. This is where things got interesting. The bottom ball joint nut was a 28mm wide?!?! I didnt realize they threw metric and standard sizes together on the front axle (happens more than once..) Once you get both ball joint nuts off its time to remove the knuckle. I first tapped the knuckle in multiple areas to try and break the ball joint seat but since I wasnt going to reuse the ball joints I ended up beating the **** out of the ball joint bolt with the mallet. Came out fine.
Attached Images

10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Tutorial:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536415
x ReAcT x is offline   Reply With Quote