View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
ajgriffin

Re: Need Help!!! How To Clean My C10 66 Gas Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Here's what my tank looked like after a being cleaned at a radiator shop. Most of the rust was gone but it still had a thin coating of rust inside.

After cleaning with muriatic acid and rinsing with water/baking soda mix to neutralize the acid.

Water/baking soda mixture rinsed out, then used PPG DX series Metal Cleaner to get the hazy rust off from the water/soda rinse. I poured the PPG Metal Cleaner out, then rinsed the tank with PPG Metal Conditioner and dried it with a heat gun aimed into the sending unit hole. We've done a few tanks this way and the one in our '57 VW that we did a few years ago still looks like new inside. The PPG Metal Conditioner leaves a coating that prevents rust, and won't come off and gum up the fuel lines and carburetor like some sealers can.

Outside wetsanded and painted.

This looks awesome! It's hard to imagine having any problems after a cleaning this good. Can you give more detail about the process? Specifically, what source did you use for the muriatic acid? How much did you put in the tank and for how long? Same questions for the water/baking soda and PPG products. Also, what kind of mix did you do for the water/baking soda? Also, did you do this with the sender still installed or did you pull it? Etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device