View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
theastronaut

Re: Need Help!!! How To Clean My C10 66 Gas Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
This looks awesome! It's hard to imagine having any problems after a cleaning this good. Can you give more detail about the process? Specifically, what source did you use for the muriatic acid? How much did you put in the tank and for how long? Same questions for the water/baking soda and PPG products. Also, what kind of mix did you do for the water/baking soda? Also, did you do this with the sender still installed or did you pull it? Etc etc
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought the muriatic acid from Tractor Supply, but any pool supply store will have it. Only put enough in it to slosh around and fully coat the inside, slosh it regularly to keep the inside coated until all the rust is dissolved. Leave the sender out, and plug the hole with a steel plate to seal the tank. Mask the filler neck off with duct tape. Once all the rust is gone, dump it out and add baking soda and water until the soda stops fizzing up like a science project volcano. Make sure you also neutralize the acid that you've dumped out! I had to do the soda/water mix a few times to fully neutralize the acid. The inside of the tank will get a hazy coat of flash rust inside when flushing the muriatic acid.

For the PPG Metal Cleaner, pour it in and slosh it in the tank to fully coat the inside and leave it in until the hazy rust is gone, then dump it. Put enough PPG Metal Conditioner in the tank to flush out the Metal Cleaner, and dump that. Add more Conditioner and slosh to keep it wet for about 15 minutes to get a good buildup of zinc phosphate. Dump it, let it drain, then aim a hair dryer or heat gun in the sending unit hole until the tank is completely dry. If it's going to be awhile until you use the tank use an air hose to blow in WD40 to lightly coat and protect the inside.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote