View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #38
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Ohhh, I've started the truck, I've tested the exhaust, I'm so excited to drive it, maybe soon.

seanery, The butterflies are what makes the exhaust totally unique. In the old days, guys would run and exhaust to the mufflers, along the way, before the mufflers they would have a "Y" pipe. This extra outlet had a cap over it that was held in place with a couple of bolts. These are called cut outs. Once they got to the race track they would unbolt the caps and now the exhaust had a free flowing outlet. These were call "cut outs", the exhaust cut out before the mufflers.

63split, I found the exhaust tips in the Jegs catalog. I was very pleased with the design and how they were made.

Everybody else, thanks for checking in. The encouragement is always appreciated.

seanery, with these next pictures, you'll be able to follow the flow of the exhaust. I replaced the idea of using the old style of removing bolts to open the exhaust. Jegs has these electric powered butterflies that opens the exhaust cut outs by pushing a button. Also, instead of dumping the exhaust out under the truck, I made a bypass pipe that routes the cut out exhaust around the muffer and reconnects to the side outlets.

Due to the amount of space under these trucks I was able to fit this all together. With a car I'd be cramped to get this to fit.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote