View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #49
tallic68

Re: 68 longbed 5.3/4l60e

Got the drive line shortened, balanced, carrier bearing replaced and a conversion u joint to get the 4l60e yoke to fit. Fits like a glove. Trans linkage is all stock 68. I took off the linkage arm that came with the 4l60e and bolted up the TH400 linkage. Works great. A tad close but i think it will work awesome. I can even reach 1st easily. Changed the filter on the trans changed the engine oil and filter. Filled the power steering. Then I got a little antsy and decided to try and start the engine. After flushing the fuel lines and getting pressure up I tapped the cranking signal wire. It turned over. Gave it a little longer of a tap and after turning over 3-4 times blammo, fired right up. Amazing this thing sat for 3-4 month before I got and it started first try and faster than my 350 ever did. NICE!! I hooked up the TAC and pedal and fired it again. No response. I hooked up my scanner and it had just two codes. MAF sensor code and P0122. The MAF wasn't hooked up so I wasn't worried. But without being able to let the engine run I moved on.

Time for the front sheet metal.

Mounted the fuse and relay center to the fire wall next to the break booster. The TAC will be mounted just below and to the right of the fuse really center.

Moved the battery to the drivers side. Drilled the spot welds and reassembled it in mirror image of itself. Still need to take it out, finish weld it, cut off the original support bends and paint it. But I am really happy with it.

Test fit some suburban stock intake. The ducting is a little high ill have to see if it will work when I get the hood on. Not sure. The air box is a little odd shaped and I'm not sure it is gonna fit. May have to go with the spectra cold air intake I've seen many of you guys use. Really wanted the stock stuff to work cause I wanted to look as new stock as possible.

Most of what is left is under dash wiring and the front clip harness. Gotta figure out what will stay and what will go. I think most of it will go.

Mounted the 99 f body E fans to my 68 radiator and set it in place this morning. Plenty of room. I think it will work fine.

I would have never got this far this fast without you guys, this site and the LS1tech site. Thanks a lot. More to come when I get off work Sunday and can get back at it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tallic68; 09-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.
tallic68 is offline   Reply With Quote