View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Crewsin in my 63 GMC Crew Cab

his reluctance might be that even though a donor looks real good , it would still need to be gone through. I have seen pics of one tony did, "rust free", and it was , looked real nice, problem is is that gm did not prep the inside of any metal in 60-66, this truck tony had, needed a rocker replaced because of a hole from a forklift... when he got the "rust free" rocker off , it was all scaly and surface rusty on the inside, all our trucks look like this to some extent when cut apart.

to get your truck to last in hawaii, I would look into sealing it up as much as possible , and if there is any way to "dip" it in primer, I would look into that.

that said if tony uses new coated patch panels , and lots of weld through primer, you should have a good head start on keeping it nice.

I would say that you have a unique situation with trying to keep it nice in a tropical climate.
we sent my sisters 78 camaro with her to hawaii,and after 3 years the nice dry camaro was a piece of junk, rusted through the roof, and other places (she had no garage).
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote