Thread: Project Texa Go
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #35
Billett

Re: Project Texa Go

Spent most of this week trying to figure out exactly what to do about my radio problem. The goal is just a decent sounding setup that I won't have to replace in the near future. The problem was getting it all to work in a standard cab and making sure I could still use all the factory stuff.

A pair of these under the seat: Amazon.com: 6W3V3-4 - JL Audio 6.5" Single... Amazon.com: 6W3V3-4 - JL Audio 6.5" Single...
These in the dash to replace the busted 4x10: Amazon.com: Infinity 429I 150W (Peak) 4 -Inch... Amazon.com: Infinity 429I 150W (Peak) 4 -Inch...
These under the seat as well, with the tweeters cut into the dash: Amazon.com: Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x... Amazon.com: Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x...
And this to power it all: Amazon.com: Re Audio Xtx500.5 1500 Watt XTX... Amazon.com: Re Audio Xtx500.5 1500 Watt XTX...
Not the most powerful setup, but I can keep my gas tank behind my seat, my feet free to move about the cabin (kick panels), my doors uncut, my seat able to slide with its full range of motion, my cabin vents free to blow some air across my hairy legs, all while only cutting 2 optional holes in the dash. Should be pretty solid.

I bought 1/2" mdf last weekend and the fiberglass kit and bondo are on their way now, along with the dash speakers, (Amazon Prime is awesome!). Gonna wait a bit on the other stuff until I can sell some of the old parts from my s10.

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm going to be using the head unit out of my fiances jeep. I bought it for her last xmas but since then the car developed a knock and we've gotten her a different one so no sense letting it go to waste. I'm going to fab up a fiberglass mount inside the dash for it because I can't stand the thought of cutting a hole in the dash for this radio. The hole itself doesn't bother me, but I think these trucks looks weird with new style radios in the dash.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote