Thread: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #86
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: SiX-fo SuBuRbAn

well, got the engine out and ready for a test fit, it is a 396 (66) that we picked up in a diesel 84 blazer.
It had a wierd knocking noise when we bought it, and we suspected that it was a broken flywheel since we have experience in that area, and after listening all over the engine we were pretty sure it wasn't internal.. check out the crack in the second photo! this is our 3rd with pretty much the exact same crack...

engine codes were this: back of the block: 3855961, with a sideways "P" under the 55, also behind the flywheel on the back of the block it says HI PERFORMANCE/TRUCK/CAR (maybe PASS-I forget now)
the block code on the front is: T III3IVR the vin is 6L138792

as far as I can figure it is a 66 396 325 hp with a rochester/auto, although it does have a pilot bushing in the crank-who knows what it was in before the blazer though...

any help on the decoding would be great.

my plan is to bolt the engine/trans-transfercase combo together, and set it in the frame, that should show me where the trans. crossmember needs to be bolted in, and then after that I will use the swb 73-87 4X4 driveshaft I have to determine where to bolt the rear springs to the frame.

*** with the 4 inch lift how much of the driveshaft yoke should I have showing out of the rear of the transfer case??-
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote