View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #93
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Next project was to make the top and the sides. They started as three pieces, now I want them as one piece. Now I know I could have cut the whole thing as one piece then used the press to bend over the sides. If I was to make multiple air filter housings, that would be the way to go, I'm making one so I'm going at it the long way.

I started by clamping the pieces in place. I then did a couple of short welds. The idea is by doing these welds I can remove the clamps and I can weld the bottom side. By welding the bottom side I can go back to doing the full welding on the outside without much distortion.

The couple of underside welds.

As I mentioned, the tig welder is not working right. No big deal, my main concern is to attach and fill. Since I'm gonna grind anyway, the mig weld will do the job.

Once the welding was done I very carefully used the grinder to smooth the weld.

After the grinding was done I used 320 grit wet sand paper and block sanded the weld area. This left a nice level surface.

I then went to 1200 grit paper and a test polishing. I have a little more finishing to do but it's looking coming along nicely.

More to follow.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote