View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
cortcomp

Re: '66 Longbed 327 w/AC project

I think i'm going to go forward restoring the interior as red and white (white roof, red behind seat and lower areas, red dash, white dash insets, white door panels, red doors, red and white seat cover, red visors)

Also, while doing that, i'll use the dash gauge decals on the stock gauges, the pontiac vacuum gauge, and use an aftermarket tach. I'll get a classic looking repop modern radio and stereo speaker that fits in the stock location. Rubber floor mat and take this time to put sound insulation down on the floor and up to the fuel tank and behind, and inside the doors.

Outside, the first thing i want to tackle is the 3 gas tank kit. It's a kit of plastic tanks made in the 70's with a 3 way valve on the floor by the drivers door. Each tank holds 20 gallons, so that's 52 gallons if the stock tank is 12. What's nice about the kit is that:

a) plastic doesn't rust. these are dirty but nice
b) plastic not as squeaky or annoying as rubber tank noises if moving or rubbing
c) no cutting the bed sides for filler doors!!

The only downside is that the two tanks have no sending units...now anyway! Once side has had some crude repairs to the filler neck. I'll likely cut it off where the split ends, and join it with rubber like the stock fuel filler neck. Both are very dirty, but i'm sure some steam washing will clean them up, new rubber insulation on the top and bottom where straps are holding it.

I found an exact replacement brass valve (old one is stiff and gross, and looks like it leaked a lot.)

got two adjustable generic 0-30ohm fuel sending units, and mounting kits.

I'll put one in each tank, then all three tanks to a 3 way on-on-on sptt toggle switch (grainger had one) and make another metal plate next to the fuel tank switch and paint and label it. Then you should be able to switch fuel supplies, and separately switch to that tanks fuel level for the stock gauge on the dash, and also randomly just to check levels. If i do it right, switch will move from left, to center, to right to check tanks, as you're sitting in the cab, so that you can throw it and know what tank you're checking while sitting there.

Also checked the rear (non-posi 3.73) so plans for OD are a go; not to numerically low for it (hate to lug the motor.)

Found a brochure set for the company that made my tanks on ebay for cheap, great condition! Got them and scanned the sides that applied to this truck.

Also, truck has one of those trailer brakes setup, has an actual brake line running into it and when you hit the brakes, the lever on it moves down. Looks vintage and "correct accessory for the time" as well. Have to figure out how to wire it up.
Attached Images

cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote