View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: LS Noob question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Overall cost wise, buildability (If that's even a word) and simplicity of the install for a noob, what's the ideal platform? What would be the easiest way to accomplish this? Example, find a GTO and pull everything. Harness, ECM, pedal, etc .. and it will bolt right in. Easy enough?

As low as about $2k, up to $10k, but the average swap cost is about $4-6k. That is usually including a number of aftermarket and performance parts. My swap ran close to 6k+,but that included things like new gauges, cam etc etc etc.

Getting a front clip (front half) of a car or truck works, but with websites like car-part.com and similar, you can track down an engine and tranny pretty easily. If you can get it with the tac, and ecm thats a huge bonus (if you want to use DBW). I knew I would be buying a custom harness, which is sometimes a nice idea on a swap. It cost about $150 more than having one modified, but having all new easy to read and easy to run wires seemed worth it.

I see various block IDs, what am I looking for? What's the ideal block to start with? What's the LSx block ? Is that like the 'old school' bowtie blocks?

This depends on how much displacement you want, what year you want etc. The LSX block is a special GM performance block, however it is quite expensive and there have been a number of high-hp failures with them. If you want a custom block, there are a number of companies that do make them if you have the cash to play with. Right now the truck engines, in larger displacement are popular for higher hp swaps. Engines like the 6.0 LQ4, LQ9, are commonly used.

Seriously, I'm just looking for help understanding and learning. I know nothing about this platform. If you have reading material, I'll gladly read it.

LS1, vs. LS2 for cost? Should I build one or get the 'Connect and Cruise' setup? What auto trans? What cam setup, etc. ? I know, .. use the search .. which I am, I promise. I have been reading for a while just looking for input. If you had $5,000 .. start with ___ block, etc .. thanks.

Unless you really need or want the all aluminum engine, most swaps go for the truck engines (which a select few do come all aluminum). Its usually half the cost at least, much easier to find, and usually not beaten to death. Any of the 4.8-6.2 engines are all good motors, and can make good power depending on what kind of build you want.

When you figure out which motor you want, then we can talk cam setups etc.

in red

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote