View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #15
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: LS Noob question

I've been researching the hell out of this for the last coupe weeks. I found a Craigslist LS1/4L60E and jumped all over it. Figured I could do the research later. I've seen McBassin's project firsthand and I'm just not into tearing into a wiring harness for a week when I can buy one for $600 that is tested and won't burn the truck down. I've seen some harnesses that look like a rabid squirrel got hold of it.

Next, you're going to have the ECM reprogrammed so its not looking for VATS, 2nd set of O2 sensors, etc. most places that sell harnesses offer this service.

Motor mounts - inch forward? Sheesh. Find a build thread that's not 4 years old one find out what they used. Tranny mounts. Linkage. Drive shaft. Throttle linkage. Exhaust.

Next up is the fuel system with the proper pressure, return lines, AN fittings, etc. No real magic here, except your harness needs to know about it.

Finally you need a radiator with the inlets positioned on the right sides and the proper numbers of fittings for steam vents, transmission lines, etc.

In all my research I'm really surprised that by now theres no spreadsheet with a checklist for a C10. Use these parts and you're done in a weekend, you know? Crazy that no one offers a kit. You mentioned the GMPP Connect and Cruise but even that doesn't cover everything.

I think once you've done all this it adds value to your vehicle because a ton of people want an old truck with a modern drivetrain but are intimidated by it.

I think after you've done the first one the rest of your rides will have it. Just a matter of willing your way through it..
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote