View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #75
ATVYP

Re: Uncle Howard's 1946 Chevy Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yelr View Post
Are you using the factory cab mounts with the wood blocks etc, or something else?
We are not using the factory wood blocks for cab mounts. This is something that my dad figured out during the first build, and he did a great job. For the front pads Dad used a very thick piece of rubber that was cut in the same fashion as the original pad (but perhaps a little bigger), but it matches the thickness and general idea of the original deteriorated front. We are using a rubber mount with a thick washer used as a shim so the thickness matches the factory block thickness. This worked out very well, and looks good too. The rubber mounts look very similar to the radiator mounts used by several semi truck manufactures (like Freightliner and Kenworth), when the large radiators set on the two mounts with 1/2 bolts. I'm not sure the specific application Dad used, but that's what it looks like to me. I'm really pleased with how they appear, meaning it does not look hacked or cobbled together, and actually performs better than the factory wood blocks.

I have heard from many people that the trick polyurethane mounts may work well, but are notorious for endless squeaking and noise that consistently return, even after using some of the tips and tricks to keep that from happening. I personally really like the polyurethane, but I also know the body mounts are hidden (for the most part) and it would be a pain in the neck to re-lubricate them after a noise develops (or that fantom squeak from nowhere appears that we have all hunted down for months and sometimes just learned to live with...). I really like the way these rubber mounts look and work, and would feel comfortable advising others to use at their discretion.

If it will help, I'll try to take some pictures of them.
ATVYP is offline   Reply With Quote