View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #46
OneOffStroker

Re: Stroker's Build (5.3/4L60E in a '69)

My Burb is getting driven daily now. I've done a ridiculous amount of work to it in the last few weeks, but it's been cold out and I've been fighting daylight everyday to make progress, so I haven't taken any time to stop working and take progress pictures. I'll take some pictures soon and post up do that my handywork can be noted.

Since my last update:
-Figured out the error code, it was a bad O2 sensor. I replaced them both.
-Had a leaky fuel tank, at the sending unit. I got a new o-ring and some permatex, and no more spills at the gas station. lol
-Fabbed up new inner fenders because there was too much rubbing with the static drop.
-On the drop note...I had to swap out my front 3" drop springs with some 2" drop springs because the tire rub was too much while turning.
-New inner fenders required moving my battery tray to the only place it would fit, so now it's on the firewall. This kinda ruined that smooth firewall look I wanted, and now some wiring is visible, which is also not what I wanted.
-A/C Evaporator/heater installed and vents mounted under dash with some 'custom' hardware. It looks ghetto chic, but will be better once I powdercoat the brackets.
-I made some new door panels, since I had none to start with. Home Depot and Ikea. Don't judge me.
-Fixed about a half-dozen rust holes in the floor, all of which bordered the rocker panels, which will be replaced someday.
-Installed new window seals and runners, and driver's side door weatherseal.
-Finished my RAAM Mat and Ensolite, then laid down 3/8" padding, then some grey carpet. Finished door sills with carpet trim from Home Depot/Lowe's.
-Deciphered the seat wiring for seat motor and heaters. This is probably my favorite part of the build besides the engine. Heated seats are wonderful.
-Installed 3-point seat belts with height-adjustable shoulder points.
-Finally, I started fabricating some speaker kick panels to house the Polk MM6501 components that my wife bought me for Christmas.

Next up is padding & carpet for the rear floor and a complex seat bracket/seat belt mount/speaker pod assembly for the back seat. Back seat is of little importance to me, as I don't anticipate ever having more than one person with me anytime in the next few months. Biggest thing is the speaker pods that will be incorporated in the mounts...

I also think I will swap out the gauge cluster I made for something more functional, like a 2003 Silverado cluster, since it will talk to my ECM better and provide more functionality. But to do this, I'll have to change my fuel sending unit, and to do that I'll just use an OEM silverado pump/sending unit. This means tank modification, which means a new tank because I'm not into cutting a used gas tank. So after I save a few more pennies, I'll get that project started.

I'll take some pics after the Holidays.
OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote