Thread: MD/HD Wreckers
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
PAWS 72

Re: MD/HD Wreckers

First of all thanks Special k for the thread.

Around April 2009 we had been on State wrecker rotation an there had done been 2 big truck wreckes within 3 weeks of each other within a 4 mile radius. About 5:45pm I had just set down for supper and the scanner goes off for another big truck wreck.I couldn't believe it.3rd wreck all in a short period of time. Tommy (owner) calls and tells me to stay close.

Well a little while later the other driver calls and tell me to go and get the other big wrecker we"re going to need it. The old girl hadn't been worked in about 4 years the guy we got it from tells us when we picked it up.

Between the day calls and body shop I hadn't had time to familierize myself with it. I go and start down the road and the top speed, before I thought it would blow, was 47-48 mph.

Well get there and stop.We had 4 9000lb. rolls of aluminum coils that had come off the truck and rolled about 130ft. down an enbankment.Past where the big truck(the one in the wreck) finally stopped.I get hooked to 1 coil and start pulling it up the bank and the ole girl didn't grown what so ever. we got the other 3 up the hill and waited for the manufacturer decide how they were going to get them on their trailer WITHOUT damageing them any farther.

I thought what the h..., There rushing us to hurry up and get the road opened and the jerks running around scratching their butt wondering how not to damage the coils.

We get the other bigger wrecker in place and hooked up and started the pulling when one of the cables snapped. Guys were talking a big truck down a ravine with a 53' aluminum flat bed trailerwith about 5-6 big trees that we have to come BACK over. No other way around it.I looked at Tommy and Robby(the other driver) and said boys we got one chance,hook green truck up also.With 3 cables hooked something was going to give.We pulled a big sapling OUT of the oil pan with a wrecker.It had gone THRU it.

Longer story short we got the road opened about 6:00am the next morning.I got to the lot and unloaded alot of truck pieces with green truck that morning and she never grunted the least bit.

I never thought we would use it like that, that nite. But she earned her keep that nite.

It does have a diesel in it but I don't for sure which. I"m thinking Detroit.

No one seriously hurt or died.Miner scrapes and bruises. The car that caused the wreck(driver) was texting wife to let her know he had Big Macs for supper. Run under front rear wheel of big truck. Pics on other computer. I find them I the next nite or 2.

Sorry for such a long story.
Attached Images

Last edited by PAWS 72; 01-24-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: added pic
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote