View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
csb#356

Re: Anyone know where to find 14FF backing plates?

First off I will say I like drum brakes too, they work plenty well for me. But there is no doubt that disc brakes are more powerful. You can get more stopping power with the clamping action of disc brakes than you can with the spreading action of drums, all day everyday. I had a teacher that explained it this way: He told us to fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and put your hands on the inside of the bucket, palms out to the sides and try and pick it up. (drum brakes) Then try and pick it up with your hands on the outside of the bucket (Disc brakes) and see which is easier. I don't think there is any doubt which would be easier. There are benefits of drum brakes though, They will last a lot longer because they have more lining surface area. That is why people that buy heavy trucks still order s cam drum brakes, there is less down time and flat rate is only a half an hour per wheel end. Also the initial cost is less than that of disc brakes. There is air disc brakes available though and they are catching on more and more, people are realizing that even though the initial cost is more for an air disc setup, the linings are much cheaper and you don't even have to take the caliper off to change them. Eaton and Kenworth put out a comparison test between s cam brakes and air disc brakes, the disc is hands down better. My 2 cents
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote