View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #72
cortcomp

Re: '66 Longbed 327 w/AC project

Started mid welding the opening around the window and immediately knew i was in trouble. I couldn't get a weld to stick and when i did it was built up too much, i'd be grinding them down for 50 hours. I didn't want to turn up the heat because i didn't want to blow through. I'm using a flux core 110v welder, so i was also leaving little spackle balls on the new panel that has to be sanded off and cleaned up. This wasn't going to work. The panel was tweaked on one side slightly so i straightened it a bit and clamped it, took off to harbor freight and got the spot welder below.

What a difference! I'm glad i got it before i put the roof skin back on. I was able to get the panel tweaked back, spot welded in 1000 places (after a few practice welds on metal from the roof panal that was still hooked to the BBW panel when i got it.)

The only down sides to this tool is its weight, it's like a giant starter with two prongs sticking off the end. But, once i got into the swing of things, moved right along. Did that, cleaned out the cab, and did the POR-15 on the floor and back wall. plan on doing more insulation on the floor and back wall next, then painting the dash, kick panels, etc.

Took a apart the 3 steering column sleeves so i could paint them, and i found a column from a floor shift that didn't have the shifter lug on the collar, so i'm cleaning that piece on to replace mine so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb quite as much. I also need to take the bed off as i had one spot weld removal go through the cab and make a nice little hole the size of the spot weld removal bit. I just need to weld it up and smooth it down and fill it before putting the insulation on there. No biggie, these beds seem to come off in about an hour if you have help, and it needs to come off to paint anyways.

Even though it's extra work, i'm going to order a window and test fit it, i left some extra metal in the window hole that will likely need trimmed, but i need to make sure i didn't mess up somehow and cut too much out and need to weld some back in and mess up all the interior paint. Then i'll take the window and gasket out before painting.

Does feel good to be making progress again!
Attached Images

cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote