View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Billett

Re: First Time Swapper

I really am considering the 5.3 but there were a few things holding me back. Number one is that no one has ever said to me "Ya know, I wish I had bought a smaller engine." I'd want to swap it out to the 6.0 and start bolting on parts eventually anyway, so I'd rather start there. I know it would be almost a direct swap from a 5.3 to a 6.0, but it's the hassle of doing it again. On the other hand I can probably get a 5.3 and trans for just the price of a complete lq4...

I definitely want to buy the engine all together. There's a bare 6.0 block for $250 up on my local CL, but like you said, buying all of the other parts would end up being far more expensive and I'd be more inclined to buy go fast parts instead of getting it running. There's an 08 6.0 with 25k plus a 4l80 with 100k on it on my local CL. No price just make an offer, but a 6.0 alone is up on here for $1200. I'm thinking my budget may have to be closer to $4000 to make this feasible.

I can definitely do the work myself. I hate paying shops to screw things up for me. If I put it together I know whose fault it was when it breaks down. I plan to just cut whatever I don't need off of the harness instead of buying a new one. I'm fine with wiring diagrams so it shouldn't be too bad. I do want to learn how to tune, but I'll probably buy the equipment and software and then take it somewhere for the initial tune. Fab work shouldn't be a problem either. My uncle owns a shop so I know he can help me out with a few things like the motor mounts.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote