View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #74
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: First Time Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by billett View Post
2) i know you mentioned cutting off that ear depending on the headers i use, but what headers work well with these trucks for a budget price?

5) how about a tune? I know speartech and blackbear do tunes, and i could go for the more expensive efi live or hpt direction. I know it would be cheaper short run to get a tune from a shop, but when i'm spending $200 every time i need a re-tune it just seems like buying hpt would be much cheaper in the long run. Since the engine was from a van i'm assuming it already had a 4l80e behind it, but if not my brother works at a gm dealership so i think he can reflash it for me if i get in a jam. Biggest thing is, i'd like to learn to tune, but for the initial "get it up and running" all i really need to do is remove the vats right?
Almost any of the headers will hit the ear on the 4l80e, it only gets in the way, and probably 85% or more with the 4l80e will have it trimmed.

Not every van had a 4l80e, just so you know. The truly best option for a tune would be having a local tuner do it on a dyno with HPT or EFI. The email tunes are best-guess tunes based on what they are told your are running for equipment. They cannot take into account any x-factors, and the tune is somewhat "Canned". A tuner will unlock your PCM with the tuning program (once your pcm is "licensed" on hpt you don't need to pay to do that again). Then he can tune it on the dyno with a full tune, which will make more power and be far more dialed in than a mail order tune can. Plus, a good tuner will be glad to help with re-tune issues.

Buying HPT and learning to tune is cool, as you can start with a base tune from the support forums they have. I will say that its added pressure having to learn to tune the truck, as you do the swap etc at the same time. Seems like it could be frustrating if you got hung up on that part.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote