Thread: GM Semis
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #206
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: GM Semis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Not with authority. I've spent my entire career (34 years) in Light Duty truck (C10, 20, 30 series).

I will say, however, that I got the impression we would build whatever a fleet buyer wanted, including some very low build quantities. I heard the SEO (Specialty Equipment Organization) guys imply we've had some fleet orders for less than 10 trucks (like even one or two) that were built in a very specific combination.

I am probably more readily able to extrapolate and answer questions relative to design, engineering and production processes, based on my work in light truck plants and my studies of mid 60's passenger car assembly. It should be pretty much the same except the proliferation of models and parts in the Medium Duty and Heavy Duty ranks is mind boggling, as implied above.
34 Years? That is interesting.

Interesting that you have mentioned cars. My work today (Used parts for Antique Full Size Chevy cars) includes the '60's models.

One of the questions that I was going to ask was if they ever put a 12V-71 Detroit in a GMC 9500 Long Nose. There was an interesting debate at another truck board about it. Some knowledgable GMC guys say they never put one in it as it wouldn't fit anyway and another guy dis-agreed and said the he actually owned some. I was wondering if you ever heard of one. The last possible one though would had been in '76.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote