View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #58
coralhead

Re: 1952 1 Ton Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanixman View Post
And so far, I'm likin that opinion.
I was looking at the running boards, and at first glance, they seem to be factory, but I was looking at the end, and it seems like they cut the running board. I'll post pics tomorrow
I am an advocate of keeping the frame stock but I am not sure what your plans are for the truck. If it is going to be an everyday driver you will probably going to be switching out the rear end since it is most likely a 4:57 and quite possibly a lower ratio than that since it is a 3800. You will be probably going to have to get a 6lug or find an 8lug that will fit your width needs. 6 lugs are easier to find. With that being said you will then have 6 lugs on the rear and 8 lugs on the front. If that is fine then OK. If not you will need to change out the front hubs for a 6 bolt patten that matches your rears. I am not sure if there is a direct hub swap out for a 3800 that works on a 1 ton axle. (Is the 3/4 and 1 ton axle the same?, I don't know). Will you be going with power discs in the front? Power brakes at all? I'm just asking questions that maybe you have already answered yourself. Will this be a longbed truck or will you be shortening to a Short? Springs will need to be moved forward and the frame shortened. Not sure what you budget is to get it back on the road or how quickly. I would not like to see you get into this truck so deep that you get in over your head financially. (It can and will happen, ask anyone on this site)

I recall somewhere on the internet a site that can give you the old frame dimensions for these old trucks. (Stovebolt is a good source for 1 tonners)

I myself thought about putting in a different rear in my '50 3600 but after you go there changes start to snowball.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote