View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #111
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Well, still waiting for a factory replacment water spout for John Lee Jr...maybe Wed or Thurs. So, as much as it hurts, I wanna know if the V8 Radiator swap was successful....so a Mr. Gasket swivel water neck. Yep, I know its as Gross as a Sweat Hog makin Boiled Peanuts in her armpits...but, it works and it'll stay there for a while..at least till winter thermo change to 195F. (Factory waterneck, spare thermo, gasket and bolts go in the under seat road kit,,,you got a road kit in your oldie don't ya?)

Here it is, o-ring lightly greased and sittin ready to bolt to the water elbow thingie that holds the 180F thermo. Oh yeah, threaded bolts fit right up but ya need a big allen wrench for them...threw that allen wrench in the road kit too.

Bolted down, the swivel is a neat feature, hope the damn thing stays sealed though...No goo and it hurt me not to use a big gob of blu goo, me and goo are old old friends.

With the hose on and running, waitin for the therm to burp the air bubble into the radiator so I can go for a ride and really burp the air out into the overflow tank. It don't look too aweful bad hooked up...not as bad as say, oh, Secretary of State in a Belly Dancin get up?

Back from a hard run, no leaks anywhere even at the gaudy Mr. Gasket water spout...hmmm, wonder if it has stayin power and won't fail me like generic drugs.

Big Giant V8 radiator makes a nice look in the bay with that engine goin straight out the middle of the core.

After a quick rinse to knock off most of the lime green NC pollen we have this time of year....

Ready for the official radiator test run to work tomorrow,,,,iffin it fails, I get to stay home from work and play with my truck! But I'm secretly hopen that Gaudy Water Spout is at least as reliable as an experienced sportin gal - hard working that is...we'll see.

For giggles and before I do the HEI swap this week (carb set should be here Wed evening),,,I checked dwell, its at 24 degrees and should be more like 34. Timeing at idle was 2 degrees advance and should be 4 for factory specs and 6 is better with points....Oh well, an HEI and no more worries about dwell ever and I'll start the static timeing at 10 degrees and Mr. Langdon indicated it'll likely run well with the Weber between there and 18 degrees static advanced.

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.