View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #119
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

I hooked up the bulkhead to the firewall and taped it all back up, routing it down the valve cover just like original. This end need another connector soldered on it to plug in at the BAT terminal of coil in cap on the Dizzy.

Soldered and finished wrapped the BAT connector for the coil. Before hook up to the dizzy I switched on the key, all the idiot lights work, water, oil, alt, etc....back out front, full 12.2 volts to the BAT Terminal of the new HEI Dizzy...Cool, So far so good and nothing broken.

I plug the dizzy wireing harness into the bottom of the coil in cap. I plug in the new 12g 12v thru the bulkhead ignition switched wire to the BAT Terminal of the coil in cap....I plug the vacuum advance (ported vacuum, its a stock cam...I'd try manifold vacuum if it was a radical cam) for initial start up and to verify my timeing setting.

Camera stops the motion but its warmin up.

I kicked the pedal once. No choke at all. Three revolutions and the engine fired. It idles noticeably smoother. Checking the timing warm, vacuum advance plugged, 9 Degrees BTDC, I rotated the new dizzy for 10 degrees BTDC and locked it down firm.

After it was warm, I ran the engine, mechanical advance works fine. Hooked up the vacuum advance, and that works fine too. So, road test.

WOW OH WOW did the engine ever wake up. Smooth acceleration. No bogging or loss of power on hills. I got some drivin to do and a carb to change out to vet this all out but I am impressed. Don't know if it added a buncha power but is sure is noticeably more responsive to inputs from the pedal. Guess what? Drivin to work tomorrow and drivin to breakfast and drivin for lunch and takein the long way home...out 690 behind bragg and up Rt 1 where I can open it up a bit! Woo Hoo! Thank you Mr. Langdon for all yer advice!

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.