View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #170
67c10rustbuket

Re: 67-72 Electric speedo

Working on a redesigned box and have a few Questions.

1. First the box dilemma. I designed this with flanges that tuck inside to be spot welded so it would be easier than welding seams with a mig. Works okay but the jaws on our spot welder head butt the opposite edge in a couple places, arrgh. Not terrible but forming this was a bear! Might be a better idea to use small sheet metal screws? or rivets? or just remove the tucked in flanges and seam weld? Opinions?? when I have the flanges tuck in there is a small gap in the corners, do you think this needs to be water tight or just a dust cover?

2. The flippin crappin lights I angled both upper corners at 45* one side to stay inside the edge of the tin the other to clear the light (instead of rounding the corner like the template) but my box and the one I made from the paper template interfere with the odo reset (barely) so I have to make it just a bit wider. So why not enclose the inboard light under the box too? (pic 4)

3. along with Q 2, if I enclose the light will It cause interference with the Tach? I don't have a tach, and does a factory tach even work with an LS?

I keep trying to make these lightbulbs work but seriously think I will have to go with small LED lights to get something I am really happy with because they are just in the way soooo much.

My flanges are too wide and screw holes are too big so nevermind the slight overhang. Will try some more improvements tomorrow.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote