View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: The Ant Farm - 67 C10 Suburban project

Been busy working on the Ant Farm. Sprayed WD40 down the spark plug holes and let it sit over night and the thing turned over easily with a socket on the balancer bolt. Stopped there with the ants and critters not wanting to hurt anything in the engine. Not the original motor unfortunately. ID pad code says it came from a 70 Chevelle.

Massive amount of oil caked all over the top of the transmission, frame rails & front suspension. The original engine must have been one leaky pig.

Just pulled it apart today to check it out. Not a used transplant like I thought but a rebuilt engine that used the Chevelle engine as a core. No ridge, great hone marks still, very clean inside. Good aftermarket head & intake gaskets. Need to pull the balancer & timing cover off still but the heads, intake & oil pan are off. Good thing is they upgraded to 1.94 valve heads in place of the 1.74's that were supposed to be on there.

Will check the cam specs and see if I want to reuse it or not. For sure replacing the valve springs after 33 years of some of them being held open. This engine will be going into my stepside after it is freshened up as I have already installed a fresh 4-bolt 350 and a rebuilt T-350 into the Suburban.

The engine is ready to run once I work out the fuel system. There was still gas in the fuel tank. Looked more like maple syrup than fuel. Yuck. I am going to run a 31 gallon square body Suburban / Blazer fuel tank that I have on hand.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote