View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
MARTINSR

Re: 48 chevy section and chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Thanks for posting that link Ogre, that may have saved me a ton of work that I wouldn't have to do on the firewall. I was going to cut straight across the firewall and weld and body work the pieced together about half way down and drilling the spot welds and sliding the top down over the firewall eliminates that.

The white truck that G&R's57GMC posted looks to be chopped about 2-1/2 inches if that much. I like thr look of the running boards being tucked to the bottom of the cab. By the way the bed meets the cab it looks like the cab was channeled around five inches. That photo is going in my inspiration album.
Here is a quick little "Basics of Basics" on sectioning I put together that may be of use to you. "Basics of Basics" Sectioning a body

I have to tell you, the first one of these trucks I sectioned (well , sort of, being I never finished it) was when I was 18 or 19 years old. As when I chopped the top on my truck when I was 16, I used the Rod & Custom "Little pages" from 1954 when they chopped the "Dream Truck" (My "inspiration", my dream, my fantasy ) the instructions on chopping the top were right on and helped me accomplish this monumental task (for a 16 year old) but the sectioning on that truck was done with some poor ideas in parts of it. For the time, it was the norm, very much the norm. I have seen some famous custom cars apart, they are not pretty under the skin I'll tell you that!

The R&C Dream Truck.

Here is the article on sectioning I followed on my first section. Thank goodness it wasn't on MY truck that I did this. Who's truck was it you ask? It was my brother-in-law's who I learned was a POS who was SERIOUSLY doing my sister wrong so when I left it half done I felt it to be a payback of sorts.

But anyway, here is the article.

I don't expect you to be able to read this, but on a historical aspect, it's cool to have and read. It's funny, there is nothing about sectioning the Dream Truck on the cover.

But if you look at the photo of the door welded, and SERIOUSLY warped, then look at how I did it in my "Basics" you will see a stark difference, I literally got zero warpage. My brother out of the blue suggested this plan, and it worked like a charm.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote