View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
mr48chev

Re: 48 chevy section and chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The top does't need to be cut in five sections to do a nice job. Width wise it is only off a quarter inch or so when you come down 4 inches, it just isn't off enough to split the roof. On lengthening it, I am with you, it just doesn't look right with the windshield leaning back so much. There isn't a line on the truck leaning back like that and it just doesn't work in my opinion. But this also depends on the build, on the "theme" of the build if you will. I have seen some where it looks great, but it depends on the rest of the trucks mods.

On mine, my theme is that I want it to look like the GM styling studio would have done it, and raking the posts back wouldn't be the way they would have done it. And lengthening the top all the way wouldn't have been either. When the top is lengthened it creates an illusion that almost looks like the windshield has been pushed forward at the top making less of a rake on it!

So on my truck I will be lengthening the top half the way and raking the posts the rest of the way.

Brian
That is a trick that I hadn't thought about. My windshield is raked on my truck with no stretch or widening in the cab. Gene Winfield explained how to get the door glass to work right by moving the bottom mounting points of the glass channel guides out to keep things straight when you push the tops of the doors in slightly to get them in place.

I'm stretching my cab 9-1/4 inches through the doors to set it on a long bed frame running the stock length shortbed box. I'm using a GMC 1/2 ton long bed fram rather than a Chevy 3/4 ton as the GMC frame spreads out in the back the same as the Chevy shortbed half ton frame.

I finally did pick up a pair of decent looking long bed running boards for that.

I chopped mine 4 inches before but may cut that down a bit to be able to run the full size rear window and drop it down to just above the belt line at the back of the cab like Cole Foster did on the truck he drove for years before selling or trading it to Jesse James.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote