Thread: 1953 Awakening
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
1956cameo

Re: 1953 Awakening

Marte_McFly, It's definitely getting gritty. At the end of the day I look like I have been working in a coal mine all day.

So I got my replacement panels in, but I foolishly forgot to order the rocker panels so now I get to wait another week for those. So I went ahead and completely removed all of the original rotten metal out of the areas that I did have replacement panels for. That pretty much encompassed all of the drivers side floor board, the bottom 5" of the toeboard, almost all of the kick panel, and the entire front fender brace. I still have to weld temporary braces and remove the bottom of the front door jamb, and the entire rocker panel.

After I removed all of the rotten panels I brushed Eastwoods rust converter all over the existing metal, especially in the areas that will be hidden again once everything goes back together.

A whole lot less metal but the rotten rocker and lower door jamb still need to be removed. I also removed the seat base due to thin/rusted out metal all across the bottom of it.

Before calling it a day I was able to fit and trim in the replacement floorboard and toeboard panel. However I will not be able to weld it into place until I get the new rocker panel into place.

That's all I have for now. I am hoping to get back after it next weekend with lots of pictures to update with.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote