View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #58
justcuz

Re: 70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

Lance,

What's the plans for the springs? As I recall you are running 255/85x16 tires correct? The stance is nice, another inch or two at max would be perfect.
Are you keeping the front Dana 44 and installing later outers or changing over to a 8 lug 10 bolt and a 14 bolt rear. I think you will like the 700/208 combo. You will have a better low gear in the trans and a better low range in the t-case. Should suite you fine. Nick knows about the importance of properly adjusting the TV cable for the 700 I am sure. If not a quick web search will explain it. Also 700's last much better when run cooler. I've added a factory external cooler from an 88 to 98 Chevy truck to my stuff (Its from the factory towing package) and they are plentiful in the wrecking yards. I usually buy the cooler, bracket and the one transmission line that returns to the transmission from the cooler.

Does your current factory axles have 4.10 gears or 4.56? The 700 will turn 4.10's to approximately 2.90's on the highway and 4.56's to 3.20's on the road. So even if you are lucky enough to come up with a set of 1 ton 4.56 axles (Dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF rear) the gearing will be nice for highway cruising.

My recent trip to Washington state allowed me to see several of this generation Suburban and got me drooling. I wish I could trade my 71 C/10 for a burb!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote